Saturday, February 28, 2015

McAfees Look out to Gold creek reservoir


Ominously named Hell Hole Break
Ominously named Fire break
McAfees lookout is a great place for a quick stop off  on a drive up to mount Nebo or Mt Glorious to enjoy the views from the lookout.

You can also use this as a starting point for a substantial bush walk.

This is a challenging 17 kilometre bush walk with a total elevation gain of 727 meters.

Before setting off ensure you have a topographic map of  D'Aguilar park which can be obtained from the Walkabout creek visitor centre and plenty of water and food as well as a first aid kit.

Starting off at McAfees Lookout with a quick stop at the viewing platform to take in the views out to Moreton Bay.

Just past the viewing platform you will see an unsigned walking track follow this until you come to a gate this fire break is ominously named Hell hole break.

And this track lives up to its name with a very steep descent followed a very steep ascent.

On the descent down on some of the very steep sections I found it hard going as my legs tried to stop me from breaking into a run and falling over,

I was very glad to be making my towards Enogerra creek there is quite a nice section where it becomes almost rain forest and some large lilly pilly's form a nice shaded canopy.

I have done this walk a few times I usually make it to the creek then head back to the look out, but not today I crossed the creek and continued on my way to south boundary road.

The climb up was also quite challenging it was loose rock and very steep in some sections you could almost reach out and touch the track in front of you as you walked.

Once at the top it was a short walk to south boundary road.


South Boundary road is a popular fire trail with Mountain bikers and hikers making its way from Payne road at the gap all the way to Mt Nebo. This is a realitive easy section meandering up and down.


Picture of Gold Creek Reservoir
Gold Creek Reservoir
Continue down South Boundary road you will pass centre road on your left and  just after you approach a water tank to your right you will come to Gold creek road which will take you to the reservoir. 

It is all down hill from here except for a short but very steep climb just before you reach the reservoir.


Initially I had planned to walk around the reservoir but with two climbs ahead of me to reach my starting point of the lookout I decided against it on this day.

So I headed back the way I came and up Gold creek road When I made I way back to south boundary road I decided to return to the look out via Centre Road.

Its all down hill again for a while as you make your way down Centre road you once again reach Enogerra creek and then its time to climb again all up its roughly 197 meters in elevation back to the lookout.

Once you make it the top of Centre road you head to the left on a path that passes the forestry building and runs parallel to Mt Nebo which eventually brings you back to McAfees lookout.

All up it took me 4 hours and 40 mins to complete this 17 kilometre bush walk.

Copy of Strava data showing map of walk
Strava map of Walk










No comments:

Post a Comment