Sunday, March 1, 2015

Re use and Recycle making a vertical Garden with a broken outdoor Chair

Finished Product Vertical garden planted out with herbs
Finished product
I having been looking for a way to screen my pool pump so taking some inspiration from the vertical pallet garden I set to work making a vertical garden screen.








Broken chair in Pieces to be recycled
Broken Chair
I have had this broken outdoor chair laying around for a while, and have been looking for a way to reuse it.








re arranged into shape screwed together and oiled
Screwed together and oiled

I arranged pieces of the chair into a L shape. The tall part screens the cartridge filter while the lower will screen the pump.

I then screwed some 75 x 50 mm Fence railing that I had laying around to the outside edge

I then gave the whole thing a coat of oil and removed four wooden slats so the plants could grow through.


Weed mat layed out and stapled into place with staple gun
Attach Weed mat
I then lined it with weed mat. I attached the weed mat with a staple gun. this is what will hold the soil in place and stop it from spilling.

I left the bottom open for drainage but in hindsight I should of also lined the bottom and added some holes for drainage



Screw on ply cut to shape
Screw back on
I then screwed some ply wood to the back holding it all into place and was now ready to be filled with soil and planted out.







All finished put into place and planted out with Herbs
All Finished
I set in place using by driving two garden stakes in the middle. I then filled with soil.

Trying to plant it out set up in place was a little tricky using a Stanley knife I cut a small hole in the weed mat  then carefully squeezed the seedlings in.  

As mentioned before I left the bottom open for drainage.

It would have been better to enclose it so I could fill with soil then lay the vertical garden down flat to plant.

This would have been much easier and I could have left flat for a week or so for the plants to establish themselves before setting into place.

I was really happy with the results Can you see the pool pump?





No comments:

Post a Comment